Frequently Asked Questions – Community Based Programs

Frequently Asked Questions – Community Based Programs


Are your trainings flexible to be modified for my community or are they set trainings?

UDETC staff works with the EUDL State Coordinator and interested parties to create an agenda tailored to fit the needs of individual communities.

How do communities request trainings?

Communities can request trainings on underage drinking prevention topics by contacting their Enforcing Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL) State Coordinator. For a list of State Coordinators, please click here.

What is the Cost of Underage Drinking to my State or to the Nation?

Underage drinking cost the citizens of The United States $68.0 billion in 2007. These costs include medical care, work loss, and pain and suffering associated with the multiple problems resulting from the use of alcohol by youth. This translates to a cost of $2,280 per year for each youth in the State. Excluding pain and suffering from these costs, the direct costs of underage drinking incurred through medical care and loss of work cost the United States $22.3 billion each year.

For a list of underage drinking costs by State, please click here.

What is the relationship between OJJDP, PIRE, UDETC, and EUDL?

The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) is the federal agency that administers the Enforcing the Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL) program. Every State in the nation and Washington, D.C. receives an equal amount of funds to implement effective science-based strategies based on their own community needs and resources. The Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation (PIRE) was selected to create a national training and technical assistance center to provide support to the EUDL program. That training and technical assistance center is known as the Underage Drinking Enforcement Training Center (UDETC).

What type of documents exist that support environmental strategies and other means to prevent underage drinking?

UDETC has published 29 documents related to underage drinking prevention. You can view a complete list of our documents, as well as additional PIRE publications related to underage drinking prevention, and download them at no charge at clicking here. Feel free to share and print these documents as needed.

What type of trainings do you offer?

UDETC offers a variety of trainings on topics related to underage drinking prevention, including underage drinking enforcement operations, coalition building, environmental strategies and media advocacy. For a complete list of trainings and their description, please click here.

Where can I get information on a States’ underage drinking related ordinances/laws?

A great resource for underage drinking-related ordinances and laws is the Alcohol Policy Information System (APIS) website.

The UDETC website also contains sample ordinances on some underage drinking laws and we will be adding more as they are submitted. Click on the laws and ordinance page to see a list of sample ordinances. To submit a copy of ordinances related to underage drinking from your State or local community you can email it to [email protected].

Who do I contact at UDETC if I need technical assistance?

You should contact the Program Manager that is assigned to your State. For a list of Program Managers and their States, please click here.